Free File Converter

ConvertFiles.com saved my bacon a couple of weeks ago. I was at a client’s office, using her computers, when I realized I needed files from my own office hours away. The files were compressed in a RAR archive, which was easy enough to retrieve via my always-on Live Sync (formerly FolderShare) connection. Once the RAR archive was downloaded to the client’s computer, however, I had a problem: She didn’t have MacRAR or another extraction tool available, and her company security policies forbade installing applications not authorized by IT. Thus, I had the files I needed to show her, but in a form we couldn’t access. ConvertFiles.com to the rescue!

All I had to do was upload the RAR archive to the site and provide my e-mail address. By the time the client and I got back from a quick coffee break, the archive had been converted to ZIP format and e-mailed to me. The ZIP extracted beautifully, and we got back to work.

ConvertFiles.com can also convert text documents, spreadsheets, presentations, dozens of video formats, images, and a whole lot more. Another way it’s helped me is to convert files I received from clients in formats I couldn’t use into formats I could: OpenOffice presentations, for example, into PowerPoint or PDF. It’s an excellent tool to have in your bag for the unexpected situation or the unexpected file format.